Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to your questions about Commencement 2023.


  • If I have a question about my diploma, whom should I contact?

    Please contact the Office of the Registrar at [email protected]. Please include your student ID number.

  • When will I receive my diploma?

    Diplomas will be mailed four to six weeks after degrees are officially awarded by the Office of the Registrar. International mail requires an additional one to two weeks. Graduates will be given advance notice regarding diploma mailing dates. Diplomas cannot be picked up on campus.

  • I cleared my financial hold. When can I expect my diploma?

    If you clear your financial hold after the mailing dates have passed, your diploma will be withheld. We don’t receive automatic notifications when students complete holds, so it’s your responsibility to contact the Office of the Registrar regarding the release of your diploma. It can take up to seven business days to confirm that a hold has been cleared. Once we receive confirmation from the Student Financial Services Office, we can arrange for your diploma to be mailed to you.

  • Will my major be printed on my diploma?

    The major will be printed on diplomas for nonspecified degrees only (Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Arts, Master of Professional Studies, Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study, Doctor of Philosophy). Minors and concentrations do not appear on diplomas.

  • What are the dimensions/size of my diploma?

    All degree diplomas measure 11″ × 14.” Certificates are 8.5″ × 11″.

  • Will my honors designation (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude) appear on my diploma?

    Honors designations appear on diplomas for undergraduate degrees only. Please visit the  current catalog  through the Office of the Registrar for the academic requirements needed to achieve an honors designation.

  • How do I change the mailing address for my diploma in my Graduation Application?

    To change your mailing address, follow these steps:

    1. Log onto the Student Hub
    2. Click “Resources”
    3. Scroll to the “Graduation Information” section
    4. View “Application to Graduate”
    5. Scroll to the diploma mailing address and enter your new address
    6. Click the “update address” button

    • Please use the address that is best for mailing your diploma. It does not have to be your own current living address.
    • Note: You must change your address no later than two weeks prior to graduating.

  • What name will be printed on my diploma?

    Your legal name will appear on your diploma. You will be able to add/edit your middle name in the Graduation Application. No prefix or suffix relating to a title or credential is allowed (e.g., Dr., DMD, Esq., Mrs., Mr.). If you need to change your legal name, please fill out this Name Change Form.

  • How do I change my name on my diploma?

    If you would like to change your name on your graduation application and diploma, complete the Name Change Form and email it to the Office of the Registrar ([email protected]) with the applicable documentation. To ensure that your diploma will be printed correctly, your request must be processed by the Registrar’s Office no fewer than six weeks prior to the ceremony. If you are changing your name six weeks or more after you’ve received your diploma, you must fill out the Replacement Diploma Form instead.

  • How do I request a replacement diploma?

    You place an order for a diploma replacement or copy  here. There’s a fee of $50, and the process will take six to eight weeks. We are unable to rush replacement diplomas at this time.

    • Only students are authorized to order a replacement for themselves. Others are not permitted to order on their behalf.

    • If you have not received your original diploma, do not place an order. Please email the Office of the Registrar for any inquiries about your diploma status.

    • If you need a new diploma due to a name change, please have your name updated prior to placing an order.  If you need to change your legal name, please fill out this Name Change Form.

  • How can I obtain a Certified Electronic Diploma?

    Northeastern University now provides a Certified Electronic Diploma (CeDiploma) to all graduates as of March 2020, in addition to the traditional paper diploma. Students will receive an email notification when their CeDiplomas are available for download. Please email us for more information.

  • How can I obtain a copy of my transcript or enrollment verification?

    The Registrar’s Office can provide a transcript or degree verification at